Sunday, July 6, 2008

One Little Moment



It has been too long since I posted. We have been traveling around the states since our return from the islands. Graceanna was a flower girl in a former student's wedding so we camehome for the wedding leaving Matt to finish his 4th term. It has been a time together, but also hard. We spent a few days in Idaho visiting with my grandfather who is in a assisted living facility and not doing well. He struggles to breath and to interact with those around him. It is only a matter of time now. I tried to prepare my 4 year old as best I could, hoping she wouldn't be scared or say something as 4 year olds do. We were walking with Grandpa around the facility and he was struggling to move his legs with the motion of his wheel chair and we stopped in the middle of a hallway. He looked overwhelmed and weak. Gracie came up to him and took his fragile motionless hand and said, "it is okay, Grandpa. I will hold your hand and will we do it together...then we will both be winners..." He looked up at her and gave her this tender smile and we continued slowly down the hall to the outdoor garden. It was just this small ordinary moment and with her simple little words she made it so much more....Before we left for North Carolina, we made one last visit and I knew this would be my last time with my grandfather who had been so much to me and I whispered into his ear and hoped he could hear as he was in his bed and because of lack of oxygen very weak and unresponsive. I wanted to say goodbye and let him know how much I loved him. I imagine it could be frightening for a little one and I could see a little uncertainty in Gracie's face as she looked at him in the bed, but after I explained things as best I could, she climbed unto the bed and bent down and kissed his cheek saying goodnight and "Love you, Grandpa!"


Graceanna has a tender and patient heart and how grateful I am everyday of the little gift I have been given. She is beauty to me...in every possible way...


No comments: