Monday, October 20, 2008


Every early spring, I eagerly anticipated my traditional outing with my mom. Although, as a little girl I was never far from my mom's sight and spent many a day doing laundry at the laundromat or grabbing groceries at the market or stopping by the bakery, there was a particular event with my mom that I looked forward to more than any all year. It was the start to my favorite season- spring. And so, to usher in the new season into our little home, I would go with my mom to pick my absolute favorite flower in the whole wide of the universe...the daffodil. I love colors and pretty things and beautiful smells. To the average person, a daffodil may not embody all those things but to me, it did. Each year, it was a special time when I would get to be a big girl with my mom and we would pick this beautiful flower that to me represented happiness, beauty, and the beginning of something wonderful. Much of what I love about my favorite flower (and I am quite passionate about daffodils) I love about my mom. As children, we were always amazed at our mom's creativity, storytelling and childlike laughter. Her imagination and fun spirit encouraged us to explore our own adventures in our mind's eye. So, I loved my outings with my mom because I loved these beautiful flowers that were so different and whimsical and so much like my own mom. My other favorite outing with mom was our weekly ice cream cones. Ice cream has always been my greatest tasty treat and the walks to get a delicious ice cream cone that was all my own were always a treat, but like most other memories it wasn't so much the treat itself but the experience. And for me, it was another outing with mom that made it so special. Mom created adventures and experiences in our daily routines that made us feel important and loved. Whether it was board games, a day all curled up on her bed while she read to us all day from a chapter book while the world outside went on its merry way, listening to records together and singing along...Mom took the time to be present...to be with us in such fun imaginative ways. That is so much of who she was as a mom and who she is as a whole person...imaginative, creative, artistic, loving, humorous and kindhearted, giving and adventurous. Today, I have my own little one who loves her Gramsy for all the same wonderful things I see in her. I am so thankful that she knows my mom for the beautiful person she is. And in the spring each year, I am not always with my mom, but I am in a sense, as Graceanna and I go pick the first daffodils of spring and as our adventure nears its end and we arrive back home I see in my daughter's eyes that same spark of excitement that another little girl had when coming home from a special day with her mom.

Mom, today, you are 60 years young and I don't want to miss this chance to honor not just your birthday but who you are and who you are to me. I love you for all the stories, laughter, painting, songs, dances, records, icecream cones and daffodils, but most of all, I love you for who you are... a beautiful lady...inside and out.

I love you and a very happy birthday!

Ice Cream Cones & Daffodils,
Marca

1 comment:

M. said...

Beautiful picture Marca. You know, that expression on your face is pure Gracie!