Tuesday, August 3, 2010

One of THOSE Days...


It was one of THOSE days. You know the kind. My usual dealing mechanism is "shut down." Just stick to the must-do's. I decided a different approach tonight. It all changed course when my daughter noticed my mood.

"You look sad sitting over there, Mom. Want to talk about it?" (What?) After getting over the fact that my daughter just asked me if I wanted to "talk about it" I decided I should talk, but not about "it." I decided we would take a bubble bath together and discuss our favorite things. So we did. It was perfect. Her favorite fruit? Apple. Mine? Raspberry. We talked about all our favorite fruits. We decided that one must never say just one favorite fruit because there are simply too many delicious fruits that one could leave out! Then I asked about vegetables.

"Carrots, celery and cheese," she said. I informed her that cheese was not a vegetable. She said she knew that but it should be. I love the world according to Gracie.

She told me "Once Upon a Time" stories. I listened, but mostly just watched her sweet face as she expressed each detail.

We talked and laughed and I felt...better. I almost missed out, because what I always do when it is one of THOSE days is stay task-oriented. I clean things. I clean floor boards with damp cloths. I reorganize and disorganize. I clean bathrooms. I drop the good stuff. I would've sent her to shower and busied myself with some checklist item. This time, I didn't. I didn't because my little girl asked if we could talk about it. I am happy to report the floor boards are dirty.

2 comments:

Author said...

Good for you! I'm the type to clean the floorboards too. I'm glad you gave that up for something better. Fortunately, the floorboards won't go anywhere while you're engaging in more important activities.

Kyle and Sarah said...

You are such an amazing mom Marca! I sure do miss you!