Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sara Graceanna Turns 5: Gathering the Moments

Graceanna on her 1st birthday in the orphanage in China.
Graceanna on her 5th birthday

Was it just yesterday? Monday evening after a day of celebration with an adventure together collecting treasures from the yard and creating a princess wonderland of flowers and pillows, my tired birthday girl snuggles up to her newest "friend," a cuddly turtle, and sleep peacefully under the canopy of lavender netting and dragonfly lights. I sit beside her trying to gather the years that have slipped by so quickly. She is now five. It was four years ago on Sept. 8, 2004 that her little face flashed across my screen and I heard the words, "this is your little girl..." My heart knew her and that little round serious face staring back at me was the most beautiful face I had ever seen. She was one year old. She was 14 months old when I first held her. I look down at her face now, the dragon fly lights casting blotches of lights across her face. I can't help but reach out and stroke her hair as I think back continuing to gather back the last 4 years. I think of who she is now and who she was then...so much the same and so much that has changed. I think about today and her excited voice bursting into our room in the fog of my dreams announcing, "it's Gracie's birthday. Let's have cake!" So excited all day. So full of giggles and wiggles during her promised tea time with the princesses who graciously shared her day with her. Serendaing herself with Happy Birthday while dancing around the house. Thankful for every gift, every hug, every experience of her day she finally drifted to sleep under the "castle" we created for her special day. I know she is growing up. I know that pretty soon I will be sending her off to school, and so I don't want to lose even a moment. I scoop up my sleepy princess still donned in princess fashion and cradle her in my arms. My little gift.

Happy Birthday to you, Sweet Sweet Baby Girl. I love you so completely!

3 comments:

Todd and Amy Curtis said...

The pictures turned out GREAT! You both look beautiful! Glad we could be a part of her special day :)

Denzil and Brittany said...

Happy Birthday Gracie! What a beautiful young girl both inside and out.

Kim said...

Happy Birthday Gracie!
As sad as I was to have missed that first birthday of our girls, I now look at those referral pictures knowing they shared their days with some pretty special friends.
Our love to all of you!
Kim, Glen, Sarah, and Sophie