Friday, July 15, 2011

Hong Kong and a Bit of Jet Lag

Our weary group of travelers arrived in Hong Kong at 10:30. PM on Wednesday evening and were met by the humid warmth of a Pacific evening that Matt and I have missed so much since our days in South Pacific. There is something different about a humid night in the Pacific than one in the Carribean, hard to describe but unique. With windows down and our little red cab stuffed with our party of 5 and all our luggage tied in to an open trunk, we set out for Kowloon and the W Hotel. We were welcome with a free upgrade of a suite so that our little family could be altogether. After eating the fruit and taking in the view from our window of Victoria Harbor speckled with the lights of barges and fishing boats, we fell into a much needed sleep and awoke to our first full day in Hong Kong. I woke up to a beautiful scene of the mist rising off the harbor and sat in thought about our first journey nearly 7 years ago. I was a lot younger then, fewer wrinkles, age spots, and perhaps a bit more energy. I was not yet a mother, but the joy of the long anticipated journey to Graceanna overtook my emotions so often. I was grieving the loss of my brother and sister and it was a bittersweet trip, one I had hoped to share with them. Our party was different too. My dad, stepmom, and little sister of 12 were traveling with us and for them it was also a journey of healing and hope. Today, it has been 9 years since we lost Nathaniel and Sara and we are here, a different little group of five, our sweet Graceanna, cousin Audrey and my once little sister, now a beautiful young lady are anticipating, journeying with us to Emma, our sweet gift. So, today, as we remember My brother and sister we remember with joy and we look forward to the hope, the gift of joy, our Sweet Emma. How in love with her Auntie and Uncle would be!

1 comment:

Cheri said...

What a sweet post. I know nothing of your losses of your sister and brother, but can hear the sadness in our post. I'm the memories are very strong and raw at this time. Looking forward to following along on your journey.